Wednesday 2 January 2013

Resolutions and reflections

First off, and most importantly...
Happy new year!!

It's been an interesting few days for us - Tom has been on call for work and therefore working crazy hours. The downside was missing out on the midnight countdown on new years eve, with Tom called away at 11.30pm! Oh well, there's always next year... and considering I still was recovering from my first official bout of 'Bali Belly', I wasn't much fun on the celebration front anyway. I'm hoping that your new years eve was a bit more exciting than ours!

I'm not usually one to have a new year's resolution (probably because I know that I'm hopeless at keeping them) but this year I thought of a good one - and I thought the blog would be a good way to keep me accountable for once. Of course, it's craft related (sorry to disappoint, not all that exciting really!). Those who know me, and my sewing, are well aware of my (growing?!) pile of UFOs... or 'unfinished objects', ie craft projects I've started and never finished, forever being enticed by a new pattern. 


As there are some big, ongoing projects, and some smaller easy to finish projects, I've decided my resolution should be:
"Work on at least TWO unfinished projects before commencing a new one"

I figure the way I've worded my resolution will make it achievable... and ongoing. For example, I thought if I said 'finish at least two (or all!) projects before commencing a new one' then I would end up ditching the resolution by February. Just getting into my craft room and spending time on a project should be enough. Secondly, I've given myself an incentive... work on some ongoing projects and I can pull out that new pattern I've been dying to do! So stay tuned for my progress.

It's amazing how many fabulous moments we can squeeze into a year isn't it? Moments that change your life like our move to Bali in October, or that build your character like Tom coming to Bali three months ahead of Alex and I. Those months were tough but I can't believe how much I grew professionally and personally, supported by so many wonderful friends in Canberra who I will never forget.

Earlier in the year my friend Alecia and I both graduated with our MBA degrees (which we technically finished in 2011) with a ceremony at Parliament House, Canberra (although I think the highlight was high-tea with our families at the Hyatt just prior to the ceremony!)

The day after we graduated, my little boy turned ONE! How quickly they grow up... he was walking about a week later. 

Within Australia we visited Brisbane (to take Alex to the fun-parks!), Bathurst (to take Tom to the fun-park, I mean Mount Panarama) and Hobart for weddings (two weddings on the same day at the same venue can you believe!) and time with family. We've been to another wedding in Canberra at the beginning of the year, but unfortunately missed a Brisbane wedding at the end of the year due to the move. Congratulations to all my lovely friends who have married this year!!


There have certainly been many 'ups' but there have also been 'downs', but all in all it was a fabulous year and I hope that 2013 is just as good or even better! 

All the very best for the year to come everyone xx

(oh, and be warned... I plan on giving my blog page a 'new year' look - I've decided it looks a bit dark, probably because I pulled it together in cold Canberra rather than sunny Bali! Another thing on my to-do list but I promise, it will happen!)



2 comments:

  1. I think your resolution sounds much more manageable! I didn't make any but hope to follow your lead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Tash!!

    No resolutions here, either. I think yours is a good one...I'm trying not to buy supplies for new projects before the previous project is complete but, of course, am already failing dismally now that I have a boy to knit for too!

    Hope you're keeping well and that the Bali belly has made itself scarce.

    Skype date soon?

    ReplyDelete